This blog is the transformation of our new home, the progress of baby Isaac, garden updates, healthy recipes, yippy living (thats yuppy hippie...I made up the word) and our adventures as a couple, all with a little Scandinavian Style!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

coconut oil



I tease that coconut oil is the new "windex" if you have seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  It fixes everything! I've only dabbled in the uses for coconut oil and haven't done a ton of research on other uses. But the various uses I've used it for I'm hooked.

1st use: Popcorn/Kettle Corn it adds a great flavor
2nd use: my face in the dead of winter when moisturizer just didn't cut it. My skin suprisingly soaked it up with very little "greasy feeling". It has good amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, which is very protective.
3rd use: My feet. Towards the end of winter you start seeing those cracks (unless you get pedicures) coconut oil does the trick.
4th use: I have started giving Isaac a spoonful every day. He seems to like it and coconut oil has anti-viral qualities. I found this, "The antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of coconut oil are directly attributed to the medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in the oil." We are constantly fighting the new cold around here. Isaac is at the prime age of colds between ages 1-2 is the worst. So anything that will help works for me.
5th use: Peter and I sauteed peppers, onions, garlic and spinach in coconut oil instead of olive oil. It was to die for, it added such a different flavor it made the vegetable exciting again.

Coconut oil has gotten a bad rap in the past for being a saturated fat and has been seen as a bad oil, hence that it's solid at room temperature. The reason this doesn't apply to coconut oil, say supporters, is that about half the saturated fat in the oil is medium-chain fatty acids, which are easier to digest than the more prevalent long-chain fatty acids in most other oils, including butter. Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Of course everything in moderation if you are ingesting it. I wouldn't use it for all of your cooking but the research shows a little can go a long with way with a lot of benefit. 

The best news of course is although it is pricey they sell it at Costco! 


1 comment:

  1. I always forget about coconut oil but good to know that it's a great antiviral! I've been trying to find more ways to keep Stella healthy as she's entering that phase. We LOVE popcorn with coconut oil! We eat way too much of that:)

    ReplyDelete