This blog is the transformation of our new home, the progress of baby Isaac, garden updates, healthy recipes, yippy living (thats yuppy hippie...I made up the word) and our adventures as a couple, all with a little Scandinavian Style!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

veganaise

I've never really cared for mayo. I would always cut it with half mayo and half sour cream to hide the tang. So I decided to give veganaise a try. The price almost scared me off but I probably go through one jar of mayo a year so I thought it may not be so bad after all. I was absolutely shocked by how much better it tastes. It has such a milder flavor and you don't need much. I decided to try it out on two of my old-fashioned recipes, Apple Waldorf Salad and Horseradish Carrot Casserole. This is one of my favorite things my Grandma O. makes. I decided to change some things and drop the casserole part. In the salad I also decided to add coconut, huge improvement.

Apple Waldorf Salad

2 apples chopped
3 celery sticks chopped
1 cup of Walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
dollop of Veganaise

Mix in a bowl

Horseradish Carrots




The old recipe calls for saltines and butter and boiling the carrots first. I slice up just as many carrots as I can cover the bottom of my casserole dish. I just mixed the carrots with a dollop of veganaise (enough of each to coat) and an equal size dollop of horseradish and mixed them all together in a casserole dish. I put them in the oven on 400 for about 45 minutes which gives them time to caramelize and develop their sweetness. The veganaise keeps the carrots really moist and horseradish believe or not just adds a really small kick. Isaac chowed down on the carrots so they couldn't have been too spicy!  

My new cooking Friend 


One thing to note, I will probably buy the Veganaise made with grape seed oil next time. I think it is slightly healthier and this original kind contains Soy and I'm not a huge fan of Soy. I found both at Fred Meyer in the Natural Foods section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment